benefit to passing through entire disk?

mccclxxxv

Jan 11, 2021
I know that I can pass through an entire disk to a VM (and I've done this with no issue), but I'm wondering what the actual benefit is to doing that? Is the read-write to the disk faster that way? Why not just create LVM or ZFS disks on the host and attach virtual disks to the VM? Seems like this allows for more flexibility in terms of how the disk can be used down the road.

In the end that isn't a real passthrough and the disk is virtualized too because there is still something like virtio in between the physical disk and the guest.
But it might still be useful in some cases. Lets say you want a TrueNAS VM as your NAS. TrueNAS will use ZFS inside the VM and its a bad idea to run ZFS ontop of ZFS because of the exponential overhead that would produce. Here it is nice to have the ability to "passthrough" the disks using "qm set" if it isn't possible to use a real PCI passthrough because no unused HBA is available.

Reactions: flames

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!