Benchmarking ZFS storage performance

Koleon

Jun 9, 2023
Dear Proxmox community,

After several searches in the forum, I couldn't find much information regarding ZFS storage and its performance tuning. Thus, I'd like to start this thread to share best practices, tests, and tunning tips on how you design your data storage.
Recently, I built a home NAS/Sever, and to determine whether to use the Local ZFS Pool Backend or create a ZFS pool with datasets and use bind mount, I ran the tests below.

The fio tests:
Code:
    # SEQ Write 2GB file - web-server-simulation:
    sync; fio --filename=testfile-seq-2g --size=2GB --direct=1 --rw=write --bs=1M --ioengine=libaio --numjobs=4 --iodepth=32 --name=seq-write-test --time_based --runtime=120 --group_reporting

# SEQ Read 2GB file:
    sync; fio --filename=testfile-seq-2g --size=2GB --direct=1 --rw=read --bs=1M --ioengine=libaio --numjobs=4 --iodepth=32 --name=seq-read-test --time_based --runtime=120 --group_reporting

# Random write 4GB:
    sync; fio --filename=testfile-rand-4g --size=4GB --direct=1 --rw=randwrite --bs=4k --ioengine=libaio --numjobs=4 --iodepth=32 --name=rand-write-test --time_based --runtime=120 --group_reporting

# Random read 4GB:
    sync; fio --filename=testfile-rand-4g --size=4GB --direct=1 --rw=randread --bs=4k --ioengine=libaio --numjobs=4 --iodepth=32 --name=rand-read-test --time_based --runtime=120 --group_reporting

# Mixed Random Read/Write 4GB database file:
    sync; fio --filename=database-testfile.blob --size=4GB --direct=1 --rw=randrw --bs=8k --ioengine=libaio --iodepth=32 --numjobs=8 --rwmixread=70 --name=db-mixed-rw-test --time_based --runtime=300 --group_reporting

# Multi-Threaded Application Simulation e.g. a data analytics tool:
    fio --filename=testfile.blob --size=10GB --direct=1 --rw=readwrite --bs=64k --ioengine=libaio --iodepth=16 --numjobs=16 --name=multi-thread-app

Detailed ZFS pool information: RAID 10 consists of 4 HDDs and 1 NVMe SSD (SLOG) created with following command:
Code:
    # zpool create \
        -o ashift=12 \
        -O encryption=on -O keylocation=file:///root/zfs-pool.key -O keyformat=raw \
        -O acltype=posixacl -O xattr=sa -O dnodesize=auto \
        -O compression=zstd-7 \
        -O normalization=formD \
        rpool mirror /dev/sda /dev/sdb mirror /dev/sdc /dev/sdd log /dev/nvme0n1p1

The fio test results I ran in LXC container with mounted:
1. a disk created with Local ZFS module,
2. a bind mounted dataset.

blocksize=64KSEQ Write 2GB fileSEQ Read 2GB fileRandom write 4GBRandom read 4GBMixed Random Read/Write 4GB database fileMulti-Threaded Application Simulation
Local ZFS module618MB/s5938MB/s21.0MB/s3320kB/s46.8MB/s; 20.1MB/s533MB/s; 533MB/s
Bind mounted dataset399MB/s6201MB/s28.7MB/s178MB/s46.0MB/s; 19.7MB/s609MB/s; 610MB/s

Then I re-ran with blocksize=128K
blocksize=128KSEQ Write 2GB fileSEQ Read 2GB fileRandom write 4GBRandom read 4GBMixed Random Read/Write 4GB database fileMulti-Threaded Application Simulation
Local ZFS module589MB/s6177MB/s15.9MB/s63.9MB/s31.7MB/s; 13.6MB/s561MB/s; 561MB/s
Bind mounted dataset419MB/s6338MB/s17.8MB/s97.2MB/s31.0MB/s; 13.3MB/s999MB/s; 1000MB/s

Conclusion:
You might say that I could expect such numbers, as we can find many good resources about tuning ZFS performance all around the internet e.g. [1], [2], [3], [4]
However, I was mainly curious about the raw data and comparison between the Local ZFS module and bind-mounted dataset performance.

So far, I'll stick with:
- For all LXC containers and VMs - disk created with Local ZFS module (with blocksize=128K)
- For file share applications (e.g. Nextcloud) - I'll use bind-mounted dataset with blocksize=64K
- For media app (e.g. Plex) - I'll bind-mounted dataset with blocksize=512K or 1M and compression=zstd-12.

If you've performed any tests or you have any tips please share and comment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!