Benchmark ideas for a ghetto build

IsThisThingOn

Nov 26, 2021
I want to run some benchmarks for a ghetto build and need some ideas from you guys.
I want to use some old hardware I have laying around.
The build will be installed in an offsite location with 10GBit. My goal is to reach at least 1GBit.

Unfortunately I haven't really found a lot of these benchmark results
https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html#benchmarking in the forum.

Here are the different options I am thinking of running a benchmark.

1. This is an old Intel NUC NUC7i3BNK with 8GB RAM. Only fits one fast NVME. Of course that would not protect me from a single drive failure, but hey, SSDs are mostly pretty reliable. Would install it as ext4.

2. This is the same as above but with ZFS. Not sure if ZFS brings any advantage here, since PBS comes with checksums and stuff. Maybe some advantages because of the ARC? But slower writes because of ZIL?

3. An old AMD Ryzen 1700 build with 16GB RAM. Two very old 8TB HDD drives in a ZFS mirror.

4. Same build but with a special vdev consisting of an old 500GB Samsung Evo 870 and an Intel 535.

Any ideas? Inputs?

PBS require fast disks as it's store all data into thousands subfolders of .chunks folder, then data isn't more sequential.
option 1 is the fastest.
Forget ZFS if this is not datacenter drive with PLP.
PBS isn't comparable to VZDUMP as PBS always do differential and dedu backup, for daily backup it's the solution.

Last edited:
I would only need a weekly backup.
I don't doubt that an NVME would be the fastest option, but I wonder how much worse the other options are.

PLP for ZFS is a little bit overkill in my opinion. Sure sync writes are faster, but I normally don't have many sync writes.

ZFS write extra data, even PBS write only new data, ZFS wearout disk more than ext4.
I don't see the advantage of ZFS over one disk.
PBS has its checksum verification and its Remote Sync.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!