Beginner storage confusion and io-error

lasciousfloy

Nov 26, 2022
First off, I apologize for a question I have seen many times in this forum, but I cannot seem to make heads or tails of my situation from previous threads.

I have a VE set up mainly to run Home Assistant as well as tinkering/testing with Linux. Yesterday I ran into the infamous io-error as my lvm-thin ran out of space. I deleted a snapshot to free up space, and everything is back online.

After doing some digging into my storage allocations, I have gotten myself confused as I cannot seem to rectify all of the numbers provided in the various areas (see screenshots).

If it's possible, I will resize lvm-thin, as I don't plan on adding any other VMs than what I currently have. I am unsure though, of whether that is going to give me more headaches at best or break something at worst.

I have looked through the Proxmox wiki on storage as well, but I am still a little bit in the dark as to the best way forward.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Datacenter 1.png
    Datacenter 1.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 8
  • ha-6.png
    ha-6.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 8
  • local-7.png
    local-7.png
    44 KB · Views: 8
  • lvm-8.png
    lvm-8.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 8
  • pve-2.png
    pve-2.png
    82 KB · Views: 8
  • pve-3.png
    pve-3.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 7
  • pve-4.png
    pve-4.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 7
  • pve-5.png
    pve-5.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 8
I'm not entirely sure if I understood what you're confused about exactly, but if it is about the usage of the disks the screenshots seem alright to me.

A common pitfall is that it isn't always exactly obvious that on standard installations with ext4 filesystems, the LVM volume group pve is placed on the single disk partition /dev/sda3 and the local and local-lvm storages (which are created as the logical volumes pve-root and pve-data respectively) are part of the pve volume group. Screenshot lvm-8.png shows how much of the disk is allocated to the logical volumes and therefore does not mean that the disk is full, but the volume group is.

I hope this clarifies it a little bit more. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here.

I'm not entirely sure if I understood what you're confused about exactly, but if it is about the usage of the disks the screenshots seem alright to me.

A common pitfall is that it isn't always exactly obvious that on standard installations with ext4 filesystems, the LVM volume group pve is placed on the single disk partition /dev/sda3 and the local and local-lvm storages (which are created as the logical volumes pve-root and pve-data respectively) are part of the pve volume group. Screenshot lvm-8.png shows how much of the disk is allocated to the logical volumes and therefore does not mean that the disk is full, but the volume group is.

I hope this clarifies it a little bit more. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here.
Thanks for getting back to me, and explaining the layout of the filesystem structure.

I think I have a bit better understanding on how the disks and groups are allocated by proxmox now.

The thing I still want to sort out is, my original problem was the local-lvm was maxed out at 152.3 GB until I deleted a snapshot. I want to (if it's possible) expand that allocation to avoid a similar issue in the future. I'm still a little unsure on how expanding it will affect the rest of the installation.

Thanks again for your time,
Ben

Thanks for getting back to me, and explaining the layout of the filesystem structure.
I hope you are getting right as most of pve storage is mostly NOT in a filesystem and exactly this part (of data) leads again and again to confusion and it's the same of if it's zfs or the lvm+lvm-thin couple is "the unknown space problem".
PS: But it's not a must and obviously you can instead layout all vm/lxc in any kind of real filesystem (local or remote) also.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!