Beginner Help - Multiple HDD File Server

wesr

May 3, 2012
I'm learning Linux and Proxmox and built a machine to run Proxmox to host my servers that I used to use multiple machines for. In my Proxmox machine I have a 160 GB hard drive that Proxmox is installed on. I want to add two 1 TB drives that I use for all my file storage. So I have a couple questions.

Can I make a container that can mount the two 1 TB drives? I haven't been able to find out searching google, like I said I'm new to Linux so I may be missing something basic.

Currently the two 1 TB drives have all my files on them and they are NTFS. Is it possible to use these with NTFS in a container? Or will the need to be reformatted? I can backup and restore the files if that's the case.

My file server will be running Turnkey's file server and I'll add rtorrent/rutorrent to automatically download videos with RSS. I'm wondering how best to do this. I only know how to accomplish this if the storage (2x 1tb drives) is mounted in the container. I suppose all this is possible by running rtorrent on a separate container but I don't know how to setup network storage in Linux to give the rtorrent machine the ability to download to a different machine(container).

I'm sorry if this is nonsense, I'm still learning all this amazing stuff you can do with Proxmox/Linux and appreciate any advise or tips. Thank you for any help.

Hi,

Rather than me or someone else trying to explain how to go about things in Proxmox, I would strongly suggest you view some of the excellent video tutorials the Proxmox team has put together. After all, why reinvent the wheel? The majority of the tutorials are for the 1.x version of Proxmox, but the concepts mostly apply to Proxmox 2.x too. You can find the video tutorials on the Proxmox wiki.

As for your specific question, I don't think you want to go about it the way you are describing it. If you watch the tutorials, you'll probably understand why I'm saying that.

Happy learning and welcome to the great world of Linux and Proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!