BCM43602 passthrough to macOS VM - kernel panic

djseban

Sep 25, 2022
Hey guys,

for start, I want to tell I don't use Proxmox VE for virtualizing macOS, I use plain QEMU with libvirt, due to the fact that I use macOS and my Arch install on my workstation more or less equal time. Proxmox, due to its nature, is unfortunately not available on Arch, so I ended up with QEMU+libvirt. Seeing awesome community here, I reckoned it's a good place to come for help :) My specs are:

Code:
CPU: Ryzen 3600X
Mobo: Gigabyte B450M DS3Hv2
GPU: Radeon RX570

I use virtualized Monterey with GPU passthrough for quite some time, but unfortunately one incovenience bugs me every 2 weeks - inavailability of AirDrop, due to kernel panic at start, when booting with passed-through NIC (BCM43602), which normally works without any issue and OOB when using bare-metal system. I tried messing with passthrough quirks like trying various buses and slots, recompiling custom kernel because of RX570 messed up ATS implementation (couldn't boot with IOMMU enabled and no pci=noats argument), tried all available BIOS versions for my mobo, tried all PCI slots in my mobo, messed with AMD CBS settings, tried AirPortBrcmFixup kext with all configurations, SSDT injections for naming VM PCIe bridges to look like in a real Mac (I got a Mac notebook), booting with +rdtscp (I read somewhere that support of this CPU feature may be important in AirPort kexts), and God knows how much more. Aside from GPU, I passthrough one of my USB controllers and HDA (tried without it, but to no avail). The result is always the same: VM will boot, show the login screen (sometimes not), and after approx. 2-5 seconds I get KP from IO80211FamilyLegacy with backtrace to function _wlc_wowl_get_replay_counter (as I recall the preceeding functions are connected with AP<->NIC handshake). I also tried Big Sur, and the result is identical. Maybe anyone did encounter similar issue? I googled a fair share, and it seems that some people were succesful in passing through the BCM43602. Now I am wondering if maybe there is something botched with my mobo o_O Thanks in advance

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!