Backup VMs (v7.x.x), fresh install new hdd, restore VMs - Need help please.

Phone Guy

May 21, 2022
I am running v7.x.x of proxmox on a dying/failing hdd with 7 VMs I think. I need to backup my VMs (and whatever else I need), install a fresh hdd boot drive install latest version of proxmox and restore my VMs. I am only hoping (and assuming) this is possible and as easy as I am explaining it...? I am hoping I can backup/export over LAN the needed files to restore my VMs and be back up and running my 7 VMs...?

Can someone explain what is the best way to accomplish this without loosing my VMs and having to re-do my VMs. To be clear, what I need help with is backing up the VMs over lan to restore them on the fresh install. Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance.

I am running v7.x.x of proxmox on a dying/failing hdd with 7 VMs I think. I need to backup my VMs (and whatever else I need), install a fresh hdd boot drive install latest version of proxmox and restore my VMs. I am only hoping (and assuming) this is possible and as easy as I am explaining it...? I am hoping I can backup/export over LAN the needed files to restore my VMs and be back up and running my 7 VMs...?

Can someone explain what is the best way to accomplish this without loosing my VMs and having to re-do my VMs. To be clear, what I need help with is backing up the VMs over lan to restore them on the fresh install. Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance.
Here's what I do --->
1 - create a network smb share large enough to hold all your vm machine.
2 -In PVE go to storage and add the share as a vzdump space
3 - Backup each machine to the newly with the PVE backup option for each machine
4 - stand up a new proxmox on a better disk
5 - on the new proxmox add the share
6 - select the share and select backups
7 - restore each machine

Easy Peasy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!