Backup to PBS hangs using server with AMD Epyc 7302p

pftech

Renowned Member
Nov 15, 2012
Italy - Torino
Hi there,
we recently added a new server into our cluster of Proxmox VE, this is the first server using AMD cpu. It's a server with 1x AMD Epyc 7302p, 256 gb ram, 2x 1,92 Tb NVMe.
We've a dedicated server with Proxmox Backup Server versino 2.0-14 installed.
On all the other server, using Intel Xeon cpu, we are doing backup to the PBS since a lot of time right now (more than an year) and everything is fine.
Starting using this new AMD Epyc server, we've noticed that is impossible to take a successful backup through PBS. We can just do a local backup or maybe over a NFS storage, but not over PBS datastore.

When we try making a backup over PBS, it seems to start correctly but then it hangs in this way:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 806 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --node n9a --storage pbs1 INFO: Starting Backup of VM 806 (qemu) INFO: Backup started at 2021-11-18 22:28:22 INFO: status = running INFO: VM Name: test-debian10 INFO: include disk 'scsi0' 'local:806/vm-806-disk-0.qcow2' 200G INFO: backup mode: snapshot INFO: ionice priority: 7 INFO: snapshots found (not included into backup) INFO: creating Proxmox Backup Server archive 'vm/806/2021-11-18T21:28:22Z' INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-freeze' command INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-thaw' command INFO: started backup task '3c770816-0edc-4107-9df1-221cb2c676b1' INFO: resuming VM again INFO: scsi0: dirty-bitmap status: created new INFO: 0% (408.0 MiB of 200.0 GiB) in 3s, read: 136.0 MiB/s, write: 10.7 MiB/s

And stays in that way for a long time (more than 30 mins) and then it hangs in timeout... server are connected with each other with 10 GbE network and everything works well. I can even restore a backup from PBS to the new server and it works perfectly!

I cannot just do backup over PBS.

In also, with Linux VM, when it hangs in this way, then VM filesystem's got dirty and I must reboot and do fsck /dev/sda1 manually during boot!

No one knows how to fix this?

Thanks in advance...
Paolo

Did you ever figure this one out?
I'm planing on purchasing a couple of AMD EPYC based servers as an addition to our Intel Xeon 2nd Gen Proxmox VE cluster, so I'm wondering if the issue you encountered was solved by maybe upgrading to a newer PBS version.

This depends on a kernel, i had some problems with 5.13 and 5.15 kernels, but working great with 5.11 and 5.19. And of course, update bios,etc etc.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!