Backup to NFS Share

Oct 25, 2020
I installed PBS on a separate server and want to use a NFS Share as backup target.
I was able to mount the NFS share in console and verified that root is able to write there.

Then I added the mount directory as Datastore but the creation of the datastore somehow ran into a timeout.
The created datastore still is visible but when I try to click "Verfiy" I get this error:
unable to open chunk store 'NextBackup' at "/mnt/pbsbackup/.chunks" - Permission denied (os error 13)

I checked the permissions on the mount directory which are as follows after mount:
drwxrwxrwx 4 root root 4.0K Oct 25 09:49 pbsbackup

As soon as I click on Verify the permissions change to this:
d--------- 4 root root 4.0K Oct 25 09:49 pbsbackup

I tried to reassign permissions to the backup user:
drwxrwxrwx 4 backup backup 4.0K Oct 25 09:49 pbsbackup

but after clicking Verify this changes to:
d--------- 4 backup backup 4.0K Oct 25 09:49 pbsbackup

and results in another permission denied error.

Yea, been there. I was able to just test an iscsi target, seems ok so far.

Hello,

I am using a Synology Disk Station ("dsa") for backup purposes. For this to achieve I did install a VM ("pbsb") _on_ DSA. Inside of that VM I have mounted an NFS-share from the host:

Code:
mount  |grep pbsb
10.3.110.100:/volume5/ActiveBackupforBusiness/proxmox/pbsb on /srv/dsa type nfs (rw,noatime,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=10.3.110.100,mountvers=3,mountport=892,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=10.3.110.100,_netdev)

This is done by fstab:

Code:
grep pbsb /etc/fstab 
10.3.110.100:/volume5/ActiveBackupforBusiness/proxmox/pbsb      /srv/dsa        nfs     _netdev,noatime 0       0

I am running PBS as user "backup" and the rights reflect this:

Code:
ls -al /srv/ | grep dsa
drwxrwx---  1 backup backup  142 Sep  5 09:38 dsa

So I can say "yes, it works!". But I can not tell which detail is the important one...

I installed PBS on a separate server and want to use a NFS Share as backup target.
I was able to mount the NFS share in console and verified that root is able to write there.

Then I added the mount directory as Datastore but the creation of the datastore somehow ran into a timeout.
The created datastore still is visible but when I try to click "Verfiy" I get this error:
unable to open chunk store 'NextBackup' at "/mnt/pbsbackup/.chunks" - Permission denied (os error 13)

I checked the permissions on the mount directory which are as follows after mount:
drwxrwxrwx 4 root root 4.0K Oct 25 09:49 pbsbackup

As soon as I click on Verify the permissions change to this:
d--------- 4 root root 4.0K Oct 25 09:49 pbsbackup

I tried to reassign permissions to the backup user:
drwxrwxrwx 4 backup backup 4.0K Oct 25 09:49 pbsbackup

but after clicking Verify this changes to:
d--------- 4 backup backup 4.0K Oct 25 09:49 pbsbackup

and results in another permission denied error.
I think you need to recreate the datastore, something is not right.
Can you recreate it and tell us the steps you do and any success/error doing so?
Also, i had to to add a squash mapping on synology nfs permissions for it to work

Attachments

• nfsrule.png
    nfsrule.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!