Backup task not really running, lock can't be cleared, and other weirdness

rs333

Jul 5, 2024
I woke up this morning to discover my daily backup of one of my VMs failed due to the backup destination filing up. I freed up space, but PVE was already exhibiting weird behavior. The VM would not fully start (there was an error mounting a drive), which I had assumed was due to the backup lock still present on the VM (according to the web UI). There was also still a backup task shown in the Tasks section. The Stop button was greyed out, so I started looking into how to stop the backup and/or remove the lock. I discovered no vzdump processes running, so I proceeded with trying to unlock the VM. The `qm unlock` command did nothing; there was no error, but it had no effect. I then tried removing lock files from /etc/pve/qemu-server and /var/lock/qemu-server which also had no effect. I then found references on how to clear tasks using the API and tried that, to no avail. I removed files in /var/log/pve/tasks subdirectories (only ones related to the VM in question), also to no avail. I then discovered how to remove entries from the database, and that had no effect. I rebooted the node itself a number of times during this process.

Next, I decided to try restoring the VM from the last good backup. This worked in that it resulted in a functional VM, but the PVE web UI still claims it is locked and that a backup is running (however, presumably due to one of the files I removed, the task details now just have an error about a missing file). It also shows that the VM is running even when it is stopped, meaning I can't completely remove the VM via the UI (it doesn't give me the option since it thinks the VM is running).

Does anyone know:
A) How to fix this, short of reinstalling PVE and restoring all my VMs?
B) Why a failed backup would cause such problems? Shouldn't the task just die if something goes wrong?

Let me know if there are any specific logs or other info I can provide.

UPDATE: The backup task and the VM lock both cleared at some point, with everything seemingly back to normal. Still interested in why nothing I did resolved it, and why it happened in the first place, if anyone knows.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!