Backup solution Proxmox and PBS and NAS

barto_95

Dec 15, 2022
HI,

I have 2 pve with HA and two NAS (news not configured now)

what is the best approch to backup all vm on cluster PVE to NAS (Synology)

the two Nas is in 2 datacenter connected with drak fiber...

1 pve on datacenter A and 1 pve on datacenter B

the best is PBS but I don't know if it's best to install on VM and configure PBS to backup all vm on first NAS and many time after backup to second NAS or use the solution
synology Replication to other NAS or configure NAS with HA and when PBS backup and send to NAS, NAS syn to other NAS

IT's not possible for me to have PBS on bare metal with the great size on storage

maybe install PBS on baremetal (HA PBS possible) and configure NFS on pbs to 1 or 2 nas ?

excuse for my bas english...

thank's for your response :)

What exactly are your requirements? Do you also want to have disaster recovery?

In principle, it would be advisable for your setup to secure everything crosswise. However, the two Synology should not run in HA cluster and synchronize the storage. Because if one is infected by ransomware, the other is too.

And keep in mind that PBS needs IOPS performance. HDD-only storage is bad and even more with added network latency of the iSCSI/NFS/SMB. Local SSDs are the official hardware recommendation for a reason. You can try it but it will be a pain to GC/re-verify TBs of backups and features like "live restore" probably won't be fast enough to be usable.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!