Backup problem

slumdog

May 11, 2011
I have installed Poxmox on HP DL380G7 and I have noticed some issues on backup:

- the backup is setup with snapshot (LZO)

After backup 2 VM's hangs

1. The first VM is Centos 6.3 and boots up very slowly after backup...
2. The second VM is Centos 5.8 and after backup on console appears: "hda: lost interrupt"

Have anyone a clue about this?

Thank you.

This is what you need?

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 102 --quiet 1 --mailto suport@domain.com --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage syn
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 102 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: Logical volume "vzsnap-web7-0" created
INFO: creating archive '/mnt/pve/syn/dump/vzdump-qemu-102-2012_09_12-06_00_05.tar.lzo'
INFO: adding '/mnt/pve/syn/dump/vzdump-qemu-102-2012_09_12-06_00_05.tmp/qemu-server.conf' to archive ('qemu-server.conf')
INFO: adding '/mnt/vzsnap0/images/102/vm-102-disk-1.vmdk' to archive ('vm-disk-ide0.vmdk')
INFO: Total bytes written: 65302170112 (20.82 MiB/s)
INFO: archive file size: 31.17GB
INFO: delete old backup '/mnt/pve/syn/dump/vzdump-qemu-102-2012_09_07-05_00_02.tar.lzo'
INFO: Finished Backup of VM 102 (00:50:10)
INFO: Backup job finished successfully
TASK OK

The job is finished ok, but on the VM console appears errors or they don't boot anymore...(only on Linux VM's I have noticed this issue and only on HP DL380G7 server).
If I migrate the VM's on other server (comodity server with i7 processor) this issue not happens...

Thank you...

Excuse for late response, but I have made some tests...and here what I have noticed...

This is happening on Linux VM's only with snapshot

example:
1. I schedule a backup with snapshot
2. The backup is made OK..
3. During the backup the VM's /var/log/messages file increases so much as the hdd size of VM is full....
4. After backup the VM is not operational because it has no free space on hdd...

This thing I've tested on several nodes on my cluster....

Do you know how to eliminate that the messages file to not increase so much??

Thank you...

Unfortunately, I cannot open the messages file after backup because is too big...33GB.....
After every backup the messages file has a huge dimension.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!