Backup job not running on one node

vtmikel

Jul 21, 2022
Hello-

I have a fairly simple PBS backup job setup on my two node cluster. All nodes, all vms/lxc, nightly at 3am. Storage is PBS.

Recently I noticed that the backup job is not running on one of my nodes. Nothing of interest on syslog for the node that isn't executing the backup job at the time that it should run.

Manually running the job, runs on all nodes, as expected.

I removed the job, re-created. Still not running as scheduled.

Sorry for lack of logs, I just do not know where to look for signs of the problem. Any thoughts?

Hi,

I would check if the cron service running on that node:
Bash:
systemctl status cron.service

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately (or fortunately), it is running.

root@proxmox:~# systemctl status cron.service
● cron.service - Regular background program processing daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cron.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Sat 2024-07-27 16:22:55 EDT; 3 weeks 2 days ago
Docs: man:cron(8)
Main PID: 1887 (cron)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 115709)
Memory: 648.0K
CPU: 8.693s
CGroup: /system.slice/cron.service
└─1887 /usr/sbin/cron -f

Last edited:
This output is from the mentioned node right?

Can you please provide us with the syslog when the backup start until the backup job finish? You can get the syslog using journalctl by the following command:

Code:
journalctl --since '2024-08-20 00:00:00' --until '2024-09-20 09:20:00' > /tmp/Syslog.txt

You may edit date/time in the above command.

@Moayad - Thanks again for the response. Before seeing your response, I rebooted that node. After doing so, the backup job started launching at the scheduled time again. I’ll keep an eye on it and see if the situation reoccurs.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Moayad

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!