Backup issues

S

Streak

I am attempting to do a manual backup of one of my VM's. I have my NFS set for a max of 1 backup and I keep getting this:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 100 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage backup --node rytlock[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]ERROR: Backup of VM 100 failed - only 1 backup(s) allowed - please consider to remove old backup files.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: Backup job finished with errors[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]TASK ERROR: job errors[/FONT][/COLOR]

Now I understand what that means, but I was under the impression that the 1 backup for my NFS meant that when I performed a backup either manually or automatic that the old one would be deleted and the new one created. Was I mistaken in this assumption?

Also, I have set up my automatic backups, the first one has not started running as of yet, will I experience this issue with automatic backups? As in, do I have to manually delete the older backups before it will perform the new one? Or do do I only need to delete the old one when performing a manual backup?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Now I understand what that means, but I was under the impression that the 1 backup for my NFS meant that when I performed a backup either manually or automatic that the old one would be deleted and the new one created. Was I mistaken in this assumption?

It is only removed on 'automatic' backup.

Also, I have set up my automatic backups, the first one has not started running as of yet, will I experience this issue with automatic backups?

Maybe you need to restart cron the first time.

# service cron restart

It is only removed on 'automatic' backup.

Thank you for your reply! That answered my question exactly.

Maybe you need to restart cron the first time.

# service cron restart

As far as the Cron goes, it's never run yet so I'll see if Cron gives me any problems when it does it's first run at 9pm tonight. If Cron fails to run the automatic backup then I'll restart it.

As long as the backup is removed during the automated backup process at 9pm, then I'm 100% happy. I can manage manually deleting the old backup file when I manually run the backup process.

Thank you again for your response!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!