Backup files

joaovitorIT

Aug 25, 2024
Good morning,
I have a PBS backing up a PVE. I would like to know where PBS records the backup files. Because I want to take the files to backup on a server outside my structure. I will make the backup on an sftp medium.

Thanks.

Reactions: UdoB
Instead of PBS, you could write your backup that you wish to transfer to a NAS ... old-skool PVE backups.
That puts the files somewhere you can get em.
You can move em around after that.

Edit: Doesn't look like that came through well. Let me try again.
If you want access to the backup files themselves, so that you can transfer them, don't use PBS.

Instead, setup an NFS datastore. (Datacenter node > Storage > Add > NFS)
Configure your backup jobs to write to the NFS datastore. (Not PBS.)

If you configure backups this way, writing to an NFS mount, then you will have access to the backup files themselves.
A cron job on the NFS server could then upload them via SFTP to your remote location.

No PBS involved at all.

Last edited:
Today I don't have a PBS in a remote location, I just have an sftp. Is it possible to copy these backups that are in the local pbs to this sftp storage?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!