Backup fails can not lock

muekno

Dec 15, 2023
My PVE and PBS servers are running fine more than have a year.

I backup two severs daily as they are changing data every night at 01:00 and 4 other more static servers once a week sunday at 03:00. Keeping last 2 backups. I even restores these backups some time with success
That worked fine till today. I got the following message
Code:
can't acquire lock '/var/run/vzdump.lock' - got timeout
Details
VMID    Name    Status    Time    Size    Filename
Total running time: <0.1s
Total size: 0 B
Logs
vzdump 507 508 --prune-backups 'keep-last=2' --mode snapshot --fleecing 0 --node pverh --mailnotification always --mailto mk@muekno.de --quiet 1 --storage backup --notes-template '{{guestname}} Daily keep 2'
Thats the backup that is done daily, the weekly backup was't even tried.
I tried a manual backup, same problem, so I aborted it
Code:
can't acquire lock '/var/run/vzdump.lock' - interrupted by signal
Details
VMID    Name    Status    Time    Size    Filename
Total running time: <0.1s
Total size: 0 B
Logs
vzdump 501 --storage backup --node pverh --notification-mode auto --mailto mk@muekno.de --notes-template '{{guestname}}' --remove 0 --mode snapshot

There is enough space on the PVE and on PBS, all server running fine without any problems.

I planned to replace old disks to new SSDs on the PVE for today, but not without an valid resent backup.

Has anyone an idea whats happend, or how to solve.

PVE is 8.2.4, PBS is 3.2-7

Thanks

Regards
Rainer

Hi,
Code:
can't acquire lock '/var/run/vzdump.lock' - got timeout
currently, only one backup task can run at the same time. Subsequent tasks will wait for the previous one to finish and release the lock (from man vzdump):
Code:
--lockwait <integer> (0 - N) (default = 180)
           Maximal time to wait for the global lock (minutes).
It most likely means that there still is a running backup task. You can check who holds the lock using
Code:
fuser -vau /var/run/vzdump.lock

Hello Fiona,

I do not know what happend sunday night, there is a backup job running each sunday morning at 1 am backing up 5 more static VMs from 8 to 16 GB and a daliy job at 3 pm of a 600GB (home dirs and backups from local VSC, FreeCad etc.) and a 50Gb VM (mails) holding changing data.
This morning at 3 pm the daily job run fine. So I hope that will be a one time failure. Even do not know what backup job could be still running, as I got an email notification of every backup job and they did all finish, the weekly and the daily andI did not start any manuel.
Thank you for the command checking running job.

Regards

Rainer

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!