Backup Failing with I/O error

crazywolf13

Oct 15, 2023
Hi
My Backup from debian 12 (WSL2) is failing due to this error:
Code:
Starting backup to Proxmox Backup Server...
Starting backup: host/Gaming-Tower-Win/2024-09-25T20:47:37Z
Client name: Gaming-Tower
Starting backup protocol: Wed Sep 25 22:47:37 2024
Using default encryption key..
Encryption key fingerprint: xxxxxxxx
No previous manifest available.
Upload directory '/mnt/c/Users' to '10.10.20.22:hdd-pool' as disk_c.pxar.didx
unclosed encoder dropped
closed encoder dropped with state
unfinished encoder state dropped
catalog upload error - channel closed
Error: error at "tobia/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Low/Content.IE5"

Caused by:
    EIO: I/O error

This is the command I use:
Code:
proxmox-backup-client backup disk_c.pxar:/mnt/c/Users disk_g.pxar:/mnt/g \
    --exclude="/mnt/c/Users/tobia/AppData/Local/Docker/run/" \
    --exclude="/mnt/c/Users/tobia/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Low/Content.IE5" \
    --backup-id "Gaming-Tower-Win" \
    --repository "10.10.20.22:hdd-pool"

I'm a bit confused about that error, as I specifically exclude that file and also tried excluding the following path: /mnt/c/Users/tobia/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/

However got the same result, no matter what I do, always at the 23Minute mark with the according size I get that error.

What could I do here?

I know WSL is not tested by proxmox team, but I've seen quite some posts here about this topic, so I guess others got it working successfully.

Thanks for any hints!

PS: Really hoping we can finally get more OS supported by the proxmox-backup-client, I'd be so nice to just be able to back up physical windows Servers/hosts as well to pve backup server.

Hi
My Backup from debian 12 (WSL2) is failing due to this error:
Code:
Starting backup to Proxmox Backup Server...
Starting backup: host/Gaming-Tower-Win/2024-09-25T20:47:37Z
Client name: Gaming-Tower
Starting backup protocol: Wed Sep 25 22:47:37 2024
Using default encryption key..
Encryption key fingerprint: xxxxxxxx
No previous manifest available.
Upload directory '/mnt/c/Users' to '10.10.20.22:hdd-pool' as disk_c.pxar.didx
unclosed encoder dropped
closed encoder dropped with state
unfinished encoder state dropped
catalog upload error - channel closed
Error: error at "tobia/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Low/Content.IE5"

Caused by:
    EIO: I/O error

This is the command I use:
Code:
proxmox-backup-client backup disk_c.pxar:/mnt/c/Users disk_g.pxar:/mnt/g \
    --exclude="/mnt/c/Users/tobia/AppData/Local/Docker/run/" \
    --exclude="/mnt/c/Users/tobia/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Low/Content.IE5" \
    --backup-id "Gaming-Tower-Win" \
    --repository "10.10.20.22:hdd-pool"

I'm a bit confused about that error, as I specifically exclude that file and also tried excluding the following path: /mnt/c/Users/tobia/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/

However got the same result, no matter what I do, always at the 23Minute mark with the according size I get that error.

What could I do here?

I know WSL is not tested by proxmox team, but I've seen quite some posts here about this topic, so I guess others got it working successfully.

Thanks for any hints!

PS: Really hoping we can finally get more OS supported by the proxmox-backup-client, I'd be so nice to just be able to back up physical windows Servers/hosts as well to pve backup server.
can you drop here your /etc/fstab from your backup server ?

Hi thanks for your reply!

That is a bit special, but my fstab is compledtely empty, I run Proxmox Bckupserver as LXC with passed through zfs poool.

So for context I did the following:

1. PLug in HDD and SSD into Proxmox Node.
2. Wipe and and create ZFS Cluster through Webinterface
3. Pass through Mountpoint of hdd-pool and SSD-Pool to the PBS LXC, use the SSD Pool for Productive VM/LXC Backup and use the HDD-Pool to backup unimportant stuff, just to at least make a good use of those HDDs.

Why do you mean? Do you think it has to do with the hdds being used instead of ssds?

Here my journal from the Host system, which has the zfs pool and the disks connected:
Code:
Sep 25 21:50:42 tower5 pmxcfs[1640]: [status] notice: received log
Sep 25 21:50:42 tower5 pmxcfs[1640]: [status] notice: received log
Sep 25 21:50:44 tower5 pmxcfs[1640]: [status] notice: received log
Sep 25 21:50:47 tower5 pmxcfs[1640]: [status] notice: received log
Sep 25 21:50:50 tower5 pmxcfs[1640]: [status] notice: received log
Sep 25 22:00:36 tower5 pmxcfs[1640]: [status] notice: received log
Sep 25 22:03:05 tower5 pmxcfs[1640]: [status] notice: received log
Sep 25 22:05:28 tower5 smartd[1308]: Device: /dev/sdd [SAT], SMART Usage Attribute: 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel changed from 72 to 70
Sep 25 22:05:28 tower5 smartd[1308]: Device: /dev/sdd [SAT], SMART Usage Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 28 to 30
Sep 25 22:15:36 tower5 pmxcfs[1640]: [status] notice: received log
Sep 25 22:17:01 tower5 CRON[1812156]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root(uid=0) by (uid=0)
Sep 25 22:17:01 tower5 CRON[1812157]: (root) CMD (cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Sep 25 22:17:01 tower5 CRON[1812156]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
Sep 25 22:17:12 tower5 pmxcfs[1640]: [dcdb] notice: data verification successful
Sep 25 22:18:05 tower5 pmxcfs[1640]: [status] notice: received log
Sep 25 22:35:28 tower5 smartd[1308]: Device: /dev/sdd [SAT], SMART Prefailure Attribute: 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate changed from 100 to 65
Sep 25 22:35:28 tower5 smartd[1308]: Device: /dev/sdd [SAT], SMART Usage Attribute: 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel changed from 70 to 69
Sep 25 22:35:28 tower5 smartd[1308]: Device: /dev/sdd [SAT], SMART Usage Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 30 to 31
Sep 25 23:05:28 tower5 smartd[1308]: Device: /dev/sdd [SAT], SMART Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 76 to 77

As smart is mentioned a lot, here my smart data from the disks:

1727342752326.png1727342712551.png

Error: error at "tobia/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Low/Content.IE5" Caused by: EIO: I/O error
Hi,
since you get an I/O error, I suspect that the underlying filesystem is not allowing an operation on this file. The file needs to be accessed, even when listed in the exclude patterns.

What filesystem is the file located on? Can you post the output of stat <path-to-file> and also getfattr --dump <path-to-file>. Further, are you able to open the file? You mentioned that the backup fails also when excluding the whole folder, what error do you get in that case?

Edit: all of above from the Debian running inside your WSL.

Last edited:
Hi
Huge thanks for helping me with this "special" setup! Really appreciate this!

The whole Folder INetCache is not displayed at all on Windows, even with show special Folders and hidden Files.
However manually opening explorer works, but no data is displayed. The file is on a NTFS partition (Windows C:\)

On Linux I can at least view the files:
1727350077857.png

1727350144045.png

1727350071238.png

Yes, I've also tried it with this parameter --exclude="/mnt/c/Users/tobia/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache"
but got the same error, at the same file.

Trying to open with notepad gives me the following error:
1727350449664.png

Thanks!

Hi
Huge thanks for helping me with this "special" setup! Really appreciate this!

The whole Folder INetCache is not displayed at all on Windows, even with show special Folders and hidden Files.
However manually opening explorer works, but no data is displayed. The file is on a NTFS partition (Windows C:\)

On Linux I can at least view the files:
View attachment 75286

View attachment 75287

View attachment 75285

Yes, I've also tried it with this parameter --exclude="/mnt/c/Users/tobia/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache"
but got the same error, at the same file.

Trying to open with notepad gives me the following error:
View attachment 75289

Thanks!
Okay,
the proxmox backup client needs to stat the file to check if it is a directory or a file, in order to exclude it accordingly. It seems however, that your WSL is following the symlink instead of performing the stat on the link directory entry.

So excluding the whole folder is is the only option for now. Please try with the same exclude pattern, but include a trailing slash --exclude="/mnt/c/Users/tobia/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/"

So I just tried it with the trailing slash, but I got the same error again.

Anything else I can do to circumvent this?

Also is there yet anything new / planned for releasing proxmox--backup-client for windows and orther operating systems ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!