Backup failed on VM template : RTNETLINK answers: Cannot allocate memory

guillaumev

Oct 13, 2023
Hi,

This is happening on a proxmox 7.4-17, trying to backup to a PBS 3.0-2. When I'm doing a backup of a VM template, I have the following error :
Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 325 --mode snapshot --notes-template '{{guestname}}' --storage poivron-potager-backups --node manioc --remove 0
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 325 (qemu)
INFO: Backup started at 2024-02-05 09:29:35
INFO: status = stopped
INFO: backup mode: stop
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: VM Name: template-debian12-cemea
INFO: include disk 'virtio0' 'donnees:base-325-disk-0' 32G
INFO: creating Proxmox Backup Server archive 'vm/325/2024-02-05T08:29:35Z'
INFO: starting kvm to execute backup task
RTNETLINK answers: Cannot allocate memory
can't create interface fwln325i0 - command '/sbin/ip link add name fwln325i0 mtu 1500 type veth peer name fwpr325p0 mtu 1500' failed: exit code 2

kvm: -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap325i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on: network script /var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge failed with status 512
ERROR: Backup of VM 325 failed - start failed: QEMU exited with code 1
INFO: Failed at 2024-02-05 09:29:36
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

The server has 8Gio of available RAM, which *should* be more than enough to create a network (the template itself has 2Gio RAM attributed).
Code:
 root@hyper.manioc:~# free -m
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          192103      182257        7849         544        1997        7714
To add to that, 50% of the RAM of this server is used by ZFS ARC cache (total RAM is 187Gio, so 93Gio for ARC cache), so the actual available memory should be much more than 8 Gio.

This issue is not only happening during backup of a template, but on some docker operation (creating a network for example), which is much more annoying.

I've solved the issue by limiting ARC RAM usage to 50Gio, which freed up about 40Gio :
Code:
 root@hyper.manioc:~# free -m
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          192103      143701       46400         544        2001       46267
Swap:              0           0           0

After this, everything worked again (docker network, and backup), but I'm wondering why it needs that much RAM, and why I need to manually limit ARC memory usage. Did I misconfigure something wrong on my end ?

Thanks,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!