Backup and Restore of PVE Node Using Proxmox Backup Client

d.oishi

Oct 24, 2023
I performed the backup and restore of a PVE node that is part of a PVE cluster using the Proxmox Backup Client. This test assumes a scenario where a PVE node in the cluster experiences a failure.

1. Build a PVE cluster.
2. Backup the PVE node using Proxmox Backup Client:
proxmox-backup-client backup root.pxar:/ --repository 192.168.2.49:zfs
3. Reinstall PVE on the node (assuming the node failure).
4. Restore the files using Proxmox Backup Client:
proxmox-backup-client restore host/pve-handon1/2024-09-14T19:05:09Z root.pxar /tmp/bk --repository 192.168.2.49:zfs
5. Synchronize the restored files:

Bash:
    rsync -av \
      --exclude=/etc/pve/ \
      --exclude=/etc/corosync/ \
      /tmp/bk/etc/ /etc/

6. Reboot the PVE node.
7. Delete /etc/corosync/authkey
8. Add the recovered PVE node back into the cluster.
9. Confirm (presumably) that the recovery was successful.

---

I have the following questions regarding this procedure. I would appreciate your help.

- After following this procedure, I determined that recovery was successful because VMs/CTs were migrated back to the restored PVE node by `pvecm` and the HA feature. Are there any other points I should check to confirm that the recovery was done correctly?

- This method can restore the configuration, but it doesn’t restore the PVE version (such as the PVE kernel). While I can restore it by updating the PVE node, is there no way to restore the version directly from the backup?
*Note: I tried synchronizing the kernel with rsync -av /tmp/bk/boot/ /boot/, but the system failed to boot.*

- After syncing the configuration files using `rsync` and rebooting the system, the ServerID of the recovered PVE node was the same as at the time of the backup. In this case, does this mean I don’t need to reissue the Subscription key since the ServerID is the same?

- Is it only possible to restore files individually when restoring backups made with Proxmox Backup Client? Is there any way to restore them as an image?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!