Backup and ISO on a RAIDZ

.n3

Mar 19, 2023
Hey,

I'm new to proxmox and I have a 80GB HDD for Proxmox, a 1TB SSD for VMs and a RAIDZ as storage for NexCloud and other stuff. In my first try I create a RAIDZ, but I can only store disk images and container. I found a solution where you create the RAIDZ but do not add it to the storage.

1681326895623.png

After that you use

Code:
zfs create tank/backups
zfs create tank/isos
zfs create tank/vm-drives

After that I can add the dataset as directory to proxmox and use my RAIDZ for Backups, Images and VMs.

Is this the correct solution? I read, that this is not recommend for production, but I use it for my homelab. As far as I know it is not recommend because of the backups. Is it right, or are there more disadvantages? I planed to make a local backup and move it then to a OpenMediaVault NAS.

a 1TB SSD for VMs and a RAIDZ as storage
One disk? How should that work with RAIDz, which needs at least 3 disks.

Is this the correct solution?
yes

I read, that this is not recommend for production, but I use it for my homelab. As far as I know it is not recommend because of the backups. Is it right, or are there more disadvantages? I planed to make a local backup and move it then to a OpenMediaVault NAS.
Why don't you just create the backups on your NAS?

One disk? How should that work with RAIDz, which needs at least 3 disks.
Sorry for the missunderstanding. I want the following setup:
  • 2x 80GB SATA SSD as RADI1 for proxmox installation
  • 1x 1TB M.2 SDD for vms and container
  • 5x 4TB SATA HDD as RAIDZ1 for storage
    • data tank for NextCloud
    • data tank for Frigate (Videos from security cameras)
    • data tank for isos, backups and templates
If I understand it correct, I can add further directorys to the RAIDZ1 if needed.

Why don't you just create the backups on your NAS?
The NAS ist not in my network and will be stored in my fathers home. I can use a direct backup, but I don't know if it is a good solution because of internet connection.

Sorry for the missunderstanding. I want the following setup:
  • 2x 80GB SATA SSD as RADI1 for proxmox installation
  • 1x 1TB M.2 SDD for vms and container
  • 5x 4TB SATA HDD as RAIDZ1 for storage
    • data tank for NextCloud
    • data tank for Frigate (Videos from security cameras)
    • data tank for isos, backups and templates
If I understand it correct, I can add further directorys to the RAIDZ1 if needed.
Generally, it does not matter which vdev redundancy (here RAIDz1) you have in order to do stuff in ZFS pool. You can create as many datasets as you like (and have the space for). I would however say that you should add another SSD for your VMs and containers, it looks like you have your SPOF there.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!