AVM ISDN USB not dialing on SBS 2003

danast

Nov 22, 2012
Hi,

I have an SBS 2003 running as a VM and a AVM USB ISDN Adaptor attached to it via path through. In device manager all devices are listed, and from all I can see it seems to be attached correctly. But when I dial in the FritzFON application on the SBS 2003, it does not respond and does not dial. This machine was virtualized through vmware-vdiskmanager and except for this makes no trouble so far, all works fine, all servies running etc.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot that, I cannot see anything being given as an error, but I neither know where to look on the windows side for error reports or the like.

Has someone so far successfully used such an adaptor on a windows guest and got it to work?

Thanks so much for any assistance

Hi,

I have an SBS 2003 running as a VM and a AVM USB ISDN Adaptor attached to it via path through. In device manager all devices are listed, and from all I can see it seems to be attached correctly. But when I dial in the FritzFON application on the SBS 2003, it does not respond and does not dial. This machine was virtualized through vmware-vdiskmanager and except for this makes no trouble so far, all works fine, all servies running etc.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot that, I cannot see anything being given as an error, but I neither know where to look on the windows side for error reports or the like.

Has someone so far successfully used such an adaptor on a windows guest and got it to work?

Thanks so much for any assistance

Is there nobody who can help?

Hi,

I have an SBS 2003 running as a VM and a AVM USB ISDN Adaptor attached to it via path through.
How exactly have you performed the pass through? A quick look through the proxmox wiki shows no info on passing through USB devices to KVM...

No idea on what to do exactly except go through the event log (eventvwr.msc) on the Windows side and /var/log/syslog etc on the Proxmox side.

How exactly have you performed the pass through? A quick look through the proxmox wiki shows no info on passing through USB devices to KVM...

No idea on what to do exactly except go through the event log (eventvwr.msc) on the Windows side and /var/log/syslog etc on the Proxmox side.

Maybe this is a misunderstanding on terminology, but looking at <http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/USB_physical_port_mapping> this is about what I did.

Here is my conf file for the VM in question:

args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:1000
boot: cdn
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 1
ide0: local:103/nordwig_system-flat.vmdk
ide1: local:103/nordwig_data-flat.vmdk
memory: 4096
name: WinSBS
net0: e1000=A2:AC:B1:F6:87:01,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: wxp
sockets: 2
usb0: host=0529:0001
usb1: host=057c:1900

As for the first USB device, this is a hardware dongle and works well. Its software recognizes it and starts up correctly. As for usb1, the second device and ISDN adaptor, this doesn't work.

No, I think you're right: passthrough would be the correct term; I just didn't find that wiki page.

The fact that the dongle works makes it a bit more depressing - as you now have proven the passthrough mechanism in general works for your setup... so the problem lies with the ISDN adapter.

No ideas here; perhaps you could try switching the usb0 and usb1 devices around and restart the VM which may cause Windows to detect the devices plugged into different ports. This kind of cargo cult plugging out and in has IIRC helped me in the past...
Of course, if possible you could also try without using the dongle in case it interfers. But these are just guesses...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!