Avast vs ClamAV

KatyComputer

Sep 26, 2019
St Louis
katycomputer.com
We have Avast & ClamAV installed on the PME 7.1-2. When looking at "This years' statistics" (/#pmgVirusCharts), I am only seeing messages snared by Avast.

Is this normal? My concern is that I have something misconfigured on the ClamAV side, and that it's not catching messages missed by Avast.

1654786235974.png

2021:

1654786313233.png

Last edited:
I am only seeing messages snared by Avast.

Is this normal?
I would assume so:
* pmg-smtp-filter first checks the mail with avast (if configured), and only if this does not yield a result goes on to check it with clamav - so if both would detect it it would still show up as avast
* from my (limited) experience avast seems to catch more files than clamav

* your 2021 statistics seems like having only clamav hits from UNOFFICIAL lists (Sanesecurity - and Porcupine) - so one thing that could be is that you either disabled those in your setup (or that your subscription for them ran out)

I hope this helps!

I wouldn't worry too much about that - clamav logs to syslog in the default config - I'd assume that the empty files are a result of the maintainers not removing the logrotation config (and never proving the `notifempty` part)

You can test if it works by ...
disabling avast and sending yourself a mail with EICAR inside

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!