Automatically transferring from SSD to HDD

Joshua M

Feb 13, 2024
I have a PBS with an SSD. This is OK to store a limited number of backups. I was wondering, whether there's a built-in way that these backups can be sync'd to a HDD that is in the same system so that a older backups can be kept on that e.g. keep 7 days on SSD and replicate that onto HDD but then also keep monthlies on the HDD for up to 2 years.

I'm new to PBS so not even sure what terminology/search terms to look for to figure this out.

I was wondering, whether there's a built-in way that these backups can be sync'd to a HDD that is in the same system so that a older backups can be kept on that e.g. keep 7 days on SSD and replicate that onto HDD but then also keep monthlies on the HDD for up to 2 years.
Sure. You've already described the way ;-)

Install your hdd. Configure it to be used as a second datastore for PBS. Create a sync-job for the hdd-store to pull data from the ssd-store. And yes, it will have its own pruning rules - so you can keep backups there forever even when they are purged from the ssd-store :)

Disclaimer: I do not use such a construct, but I am fairly sure that's the way it works...

Reactions: Joshua M

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!