Automated screendump of KVM machines?

Patschi

Jul 23, 2013
Austria
pkern.at
I'm trying since hours to get the output of a virtual machine (KVM) automated. For this I'm trying to use the integrated "screendump" command of KVM, but I'm not able to execute it somehow automated.

I was using QMP (Which is created by default), but all commands I found in the web aren't working as expected - all helpful commands were not found.
Code:
root@pve:~# echo '{ "execute": "screendump", "arguments": { "filename": "/tmp/test.ppm" } }' | socat - /var/run/qemu-server/201.qmp
{"QMP": {"version": {"qemu": {"micro": 1, "minor": 7, "major": 1}, "package": ""}, "capabilities": []}}
{"error": {"class": "CommandNotFound", "desc": "The command screendump has not been found"}}

My next try was to use "qm monitor" to dump the screen to a file. It's working manually like expected, but I'm not able to get it executed fully automated... Tried many things, but nothing helped.
Code:
root@pve:~# echo -e "screendump /tmp/test.ppm\nquit" | qm monitor 201
Entering Qemu Monitor for VM 201 - type 'help' for help
qm> quit
root@pve:~#

Converting the final .ppm file is very easy. For that just imagemagick is needed: "convert image.ppm image.png".

My third idea was to convert the VNC socket to a image, but for this case I didn't really found many useful tools. So I guess the both ideas above are a better possibility.
Does someone knows better way to get this work? Thanks for any suggestions!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!