Attempt to read or write outside of a disk...

ixproxmox

Renowned Member
Nov 25, 2015
I have tried several times to install Ubuntu from a iso I know is good. It says installed and all is good - but on reboot: "Attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0" and into grub rescue. It is a 35TB drive... To big disk for proxmox to handle?

try simply with 2tb first. if it still doesn't work, then there is probably any limit. Never tryed to pass anything over a tb myself xD

I have tried three different distrubutions - all failed. So I choose to just delete my lvm-thin volume, gpt-init the disk and created lvm thick volume instead. This time, I just created a 500 Gb disk. Still same result! The installer doesn't directly report any error, but when checking its log, it say things that "is /dev/pts mounted? posix_openpt 19 no such device"...

So it seems totally not related to the disk-size.. So much troubleshooting and nowhere closeto know what is wrong..

post maybe your guest config. maybe you are overprovisioning?
you could write to your storage with proxmox directly, simply create a 10gb file or something.

like:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=10GB.bin bs=64M count=160 iflag=fullblock

then do a
md5 10GB.bin

then copy or move your 10GB file to your storage, it should be directly under systemroot...
/YourStorageName/...

do a md5 again and compare it.

well if md5 is the same, then you need to dig further, post your guest config etc...
if it's different, something is wrong with your storage xD

I managed to create a vm with just a 13 GB drive finally. But not 35TB... Next step would be to try to create a small kvm-machine and then try to add a big disk as attachment/disk #2. I guess that can have some advantages (if it works). Will try your tip also, but it seems like it should work since I manage to create this small one.

maybe you are really overprovisioning. and you have simply not enough free space...

maybe you are really overprovisioning. and you have simply not enough free space...
I have 50TB formatted volume on completely new disks, it should be able to store 38TB. I would get a warning message normally if I try to store more than is available in Proxmox I think (I'm running on lvm-thick only now).

any special controller? raid controller from past century or an hba or onboard?
Probaby you can check for dmesg -l error,warn

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!