Assigning VMs to a dedicated subnet

Scepter

Oct 6, 2022
Hi,

I'm quite here, so I hope my question is not too stupid.

I'm operating in a fairly typical home environment, i.e. with a single public IP and a DHCP server assigning the IPs from the subnet 192.168.0.0/24 to my local clients. For Proxmox, I would like to create a dedicated subnet (192.168.77.0/24) for its VMs and containers, so that they're separated from my physical network devices.

So here's what I already did:

1. Registered a static IP (192.168.0.50) for the Proxmox host on my router
2. Registered a static route 192.168.77.0/24 -> 192.168.0.50 on my router
3. Used this config to set up both the static IP and the route on my Proxmox host

Everything looks promising so far, but when booting up a container, no IP gets assigned. Sounds logical so far, as my routers DHCP is no longer responsible for assigning addresses within the static route. So ideally, I would like to just set a static IP from the subnet for each container (e.g. 192.168.77.55), but I didn't find any option to do so. I know that I can set a static IP on the guest OS, but from my understanding, Proxmox must be aware of the IP assignments as well to be able to forward requests.

Does my plan sound reasonable so far and if, does anybody know of a way to set up static IPs for VMs?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!