Are there better instructions available for increasing disk size?

timdonovan

Feb 3, 2020
The current instructions are:

1. Incongrent with the default disk settings of Proxmox (VirtIO SCSI is the disk default in proxmox but instructions show vda/VirtIO)
  2. Don't acknowledge that the web UI can be used
  3. Show command syntax that doesn't actually work on recent linux distributions ("resizepart 3 100%" is not valid and results in "invalid token")
  4. Often don't actually work on recent linux distrubutions (tried in debian, ubuntu, apline - fdisk quite often doesn't report any increase, and neither does parted once installed)
  5. Contain confusing instructions like in step 3 "If you did not resize the filesystem in step 2"...
  6. Don't contain any troubleshooting advice if fdisk or parted DON'T report any size increase
It would be really helpful if the instructions available were written in a short concise list of commands that actually work (repeatedly) on the most popular distros, rather than having to stumble through the current documentation and have it maybe-not work.

Having only played with VMWare images over a decade ago, I'm actually surprised increasing disk space is such an involved process! It also seems like the perfect candidate for something that a helper-daemon (such as qemu) should handle.

If I actually ever manage to get this vanilla Debian server disk increased I'll report back how it was done in the hope it helps someone else out.

Many thanks.

In general I agree that the docs in question would benefit from an update and points 1 and 2 are legit.

3. This does work (tested with Debian Buster). The error indicates that you provided something wrong e.g. parted asked you Fix/Ignore and you provided a command. That error normally provides the wrong token as well.
4. Resizing the disk from the web ui or command line only affects the block device, those changes can be seen with:
# lsblk
After the parted section you should see the difference with fdisk.

5. Seems to be a left over from a previous edition, I agree.
6. It should report the changes, if there were no errors on the way.

There is a lot of support material out there on how to resize a disk for your operating system, this isn't specific to Proxmox except for the first step (resizing the underlying hard disk).

Please share your problems in detail, with errors and I'll try to help you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!