[SOLVED] Are linux headers required or save to delete? Even if they are old

diversity

Feb 19, 2020
after the cups incident I would like to remove as much unneeded stuff as possible.

Just now I saw the following (security) updates available

1727983489962.png

Do I need those or are they save to delete?

I am running non free drivers though in case that matters.

They are required if you are using non-free (eg DKMS) drivers as the DKMS drivers compile against the source code of the Linux kernel.

Reactions: diversity
Then again, why do you need kernel version 6.1 when the latest PVE 8.2 is on 6.8 and older PVE versions are out of support? Newer software might be risky but known security issues are typically fixed in newer version.

Last edited:
interesting point. I am running PVE 8.2.7. So I am not sure why I got these updates :(

I am unsloving this thread and changing the title to reflect the following question.

How do I make sure I am using the latest kernel?

I guess I need to remove the old kernel then :( as I think the repos are configured correctly

1727986778053.png

They are yes?

Anyway haha I am such a newb :( How to remove the old kernel? :) I am not sure I dare to do that as I am known to break systems all too well :(

The package manager typically recommends the versions you need based on what you're currently running or asked it to do. Why you're currently running what you're running is another question, as mentioned above, could be repo's not set up properly, perhaps you have the kernel pinned for a reason or a dependency, or you upgraded from Proxmox 7->8 and something went weird?

You can do apt autoremove (after updating and rebooting) to uninstall older kernels you no longer need, but it is useful to keep a few versions of the kernel around in case there are issues with the current version and definitely do not force-remove them. Keeping the packages on your system wastes a few MB of disk space, nothing more, that's different than what is currently "running" on your system. It would be weird to have eg. CUPS running on your Proxmox server, it certainly does not by default.

As far as your specific case, are you using CUDA/nVIDIA drivers on the hypervisor side? That MAY be why the kernel is stuck, if you installed a specific version of the driver, it needs a specific version of the kernel - there are meta-packages that will update every version (which may be a pain in itself), but if you specified eg. 525 series of drivers, they are going to be the 525 drivers as you asked.

You shouldn't need (the public) CUDA/drivers on the Proxmox server though, if you do for some odd reason, you may want to keep the old kernel version while you test whether jumping to 6.8 works, you will need to upgrade the driver (if that works) or if it doesn't (if the leap is too great) uninstall the packages, disable the repo, make sure everything gets up-to-date, then re-install from there (you will need 'current' versions of the commercial drivers (550) for vGPU to work on 6.8, see my other thread).

Last edited:
I am running
Kernel Version

Linux 6.8.12-2-pve (2024-09-05T10:03Z)

I am going to remove CUDA. I am not using that on the host.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!