Any specific settings on BIOS for Proxmox to run better ?

technewbie

Sep 19, 2021
Hi everyone,

Is there any specific settings on BIOS that would make Proxmox VE run better or that would make using Proxmox easier for;

- CPU/GPU/APU ?
- RAM ?
- PCI/PCIe Passthrough ?
- Hardware RAID controller ?
- Network stack ?
- Security ?

Thanks

Sure, but that really depends on your hardware and software. So you would need to be a bit more specific.
If you use ZFS you for example don't want to use HW raid and switch the raid controller to IT mode.
And for lower latency you might want to disable the C states so your CPU is always running at full power without any downclocking.
Or if you want to use PCI passthrough you would need to enable IOMMU in BIOS and so on...

iommu and there is another setting I think, sr-iov ( i think the latter might only be needed if want to split devices between multiple VM's), there is a 3rd setting as well but I forgot.

Also I did some manual configuring on the kvm module to prevent the host OS even seeing passthru devices, to maximise stability/performance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!