Any activity on HDD is become veeeery slow

Sidius

Oct 4, 2024
Hello
Running proxmox ve about one year on 12 x 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700 (1 Socket). This is not high loaded VE (one VM, two LXC). I have one nvme for VE itself, one SSD for high speed VM/LXC and one HDD (Seagate Barracuda st2000dm008-2fr102 2tb) for VM/LXC which do not need high speed disk access.All storages is lvm-thin. Several days before i need to run another VM, and i see that installation on HDD is veeeeeery slow (after waiting about 30 minutes and see that process is on 35% i kill VM, remove vm disk from hdd and put it on ssd and all was quick). I'm start investigate this problem. Create test LXC (debian 11), and start apt-get update, apt-get upgrade. It still veeeeery slow ( lasting about 14 minutes). When it running i looking on htop disk io - it's growing to 100%+ and LA of VE about 3-4. I'm checking hdd write speed in lxc with command dd if=/dev/zero of=test.file bs=64M count=16 oflag=dsync
it shows 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 13.2918 s, 80.8 MB/s

I have another proxmox server with HDD. Trying do the same on it - apt-get update && apt-get upgrade is lasting only one minute not 14 minutes on first proxmox.
the same dd check on second promox server is show 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 5.82312 s, 184 MB/s

Ok hdd is, looking on dd check, twice speed but not 14x speed when do any operation :((((

When i do all of this on SSD - all is ok, very quick.

How to resolve/investigate this problem without buying new HDD?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!