Another passthrough issue: Audio causing slowdown even after applying known fixes

dakazze

Nov 25, 2022
Hey guys!

I have done GPU passthrough setups several times but this time I am quite stuck.

• PVE 8.2
  • Intel I7 4765t
  • Currently only running 1 VM for testing
Code:
agent: 1
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0;net0
cores: 5
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=1M
hostpci0: 0000:00:02,pcie=1,rombar=0,x-vga=1
hostpci1: 0000:00:03,pcie=1
machine: q35
memory: 10240
meta: creation-qemu=9.0.2,ctime=1728954259
name: buntuJelly
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:A6:A1:CC,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
parent: predriver
scsi0: NAS:101/vm-101-disk-0.qcow2,iothread=1,size=16G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=bab57786-cc6c-486c-8683-ab370a349d74
sockets: 1
usb0: host=3-2
usb1: host=04d9:1512
vga: none
vmgenid: f5693923-fa90-49ad-a5e0-dd6bba99a84c

Code:
root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt nofb nomodeset video=efifb:off video=vesafb:off

Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0412] (rev 06)
00:03.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller [8086:0c0c] (rev 06)

I know that the hardware is lacking but this is just a small off-site backup and I want to use it as a media player for Jellyfin, which should be perfectly doable. Video output over display port is working fine but there are audio issues. Audio is causing major slowdowns/stutter and only when I set audio output to 5.1 it is working somewhat okay.

As you see GPU/Audio is recognized wrong on the host and also on the gues it shows up as Xeon E3-1200 though I dont know if that has anything to do with the issues at hand.

Before applying the known fix from the wiki inside the guest:
echo "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1" >> /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf

.... audio was not working at all and slowdowns were even worse.

CPU/RAM utilization stay below 50% even when playing back high bitrate 4k video at 1080p.

Since I already spent hours on this I would appreciate any help I can get! If you think it is an OS issue, I would not mind to switch to anything else since the only purpose of this machine is to play jellyfin.

I did a bit more research and both GPU and HD-Audio are a completely differenct model from the ones that get recognize by proxmox. Detected GPU is P4600 and in reality it is HD4600.
I guess that might be the issue why the guest is using the wrong driver. Any solution to get PVE to detect the correct devices?

Looks like my issues are gone!

After changing the machine settings from Q35 to

Code:
machine: q35,viommu=intel

everything runs smooth as butter!
Now the question is if it makes sense to use the same setting for my main PVE machine that does the video transcoding on a Xeon-2176.

Back to square 1 with a Win10 VM....

After researching and trying half a day I am back with another passthrough issue.

I tried getting a Win 10 VM to run and I managed to get a video signal through the Display port but whatever I do I cant get audio over HDMI to work
I did not post a VM config here because I have 2 installs, one with SeaBIOS, one with UEFI and I tried all machine types and different versions as well.

Thats the args I am working with but I also already tried deleteing the second device and added the HDMI audio via the GUI. I know that the host setup and the hardware are okay because I got audio on the ubuntu VM

Code:
args: -device "vfio-pci,host=00:02.0,addr=0x02,x-vga=off,x-igd-gms=1,rombar=1,x-igd-opregion=on" -device "vfio-pci,host=00:03.0,addr=0x03"

Windows device manager shows a intel audio device but in the taskbar it says that there is no audio device detected, I also already tried different drivers without any success.

I managed to get a video signal through the Display port but whatever I do I cant get audio over HDMI to work
I have read here before that HDMI of integrated Intel graphics sometimes requires a patched ROM file. I don't know the details (as I don't have Intel) but maybe you can find the relevant threads somewhere on this forum?

I have read here before that HDMI of integrated Intel graphics sometimes requires a patched ROM file. I don't know the details (as I don't have Intel) but maybe you can find the relevant threads somewhere on this forum?
Thank you very much, at least this gives me another angle to try, I will start researching into this and maybe someone can chime in who already has hands on experience with this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!