Allow unifi container to use multiple VLANs

mrmonk

Aug 19, 2024
My goal:
  • Have my unifi container's management IP and Office wifi network be on an untagged vlan (currently works)
  • Add other wifi networks with different vlans (ie guest vlan: 55, accounting vlan: 100)
Where I'm at:
Office wifi network works great. I can connect and get an IP as expected. However, I created a guest wifi network with vlan 55. When a client connects, they do not get an ip address.

I have proxmox installed on a mini pc with one nic. The bridge has been made "vlan aware" and rebooted. This container is replacing an existing Unifi vmware VM that works perfectly. The physical switch I'm using has other unifi APs (linked to old vmware Unifi Network) tagged with vlans 55 and 100 and they all work. My test AP is plugged into the same switch with the same vlans tagged so I think that rules out my physical network.

Everything I've googled seems to want to put the container on a different VLAN than the proxmox host. This is not my goal! I want the container on untagged vlan with the ability to put wireless clients on different vlans. Is this even possible? My google-fu is failing me.

This Unifi-VM, is this some kind of virtualized router then?
Because the only unifi-VM that I know of is the controller-software, which only purpose is to send configuration-changes (I'm somewhat simplifying here), while the router (or a different device set up as such) is responsible for DHCP (The controller can be off/unreachable, and he router will still be providing IP's).

If it IS the/a router, have you checked on the manager that the switch itself is connected to, if both DHCP-Guarding and guest-isolation are turned off (or both the AP and the router/vm in your new network are whitelisted / set to the always-allowed ranges of guest-isolation?

And if on this guest-network you configure a device with a static IP, can you then ping both the old and the new controller / router / other-in-network-device?

Oh, and if it is a router-device, please link/show, I might be interested in checking it out in general

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!