After update to proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-5-pve-signed:amd64 (6.5.13-5, automatic) GUI inaccesible, SSH works okay.

k.jings

Dec 4, 2021
From /var/log/apt/history.log:
Start-Date: 2024-04-10 16:56:56
Commandline: apt upgrade
Install: proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-5-pve-signed:amd64 (6.5.13-5, automatic)
Upgrade: lxcfs:amd64 (5.0.3-pve4, 6.0.0-pve1), proxmox-kernel-6.5:amd64 (6.5.13-3, 6.5.13-5), lxc-pve:amd64 (5.0.2-4, 6.0.0-1)
End-Date: 2024-04-10 16:57:19
pveversion
pve-manager/8.1.10/4b06efb5db453f29 (running kernel: 6.5.13-5-pve)
systemctl restart pveproxy.service pvedaemon.service hangs.
systemctl status pveproxy.service pvedaemon.service
○ pveproxy.service - PVE API Proxy Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pveproxy.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)

○ pvedaemon.service - PVE API Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pvedaemon.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your potential troubleshooting steps, bbgeek17. I realize I should have provided more context in my initial post.

Environment:
  • 3-node Proxmox Cluster
  • LINSTOR with proxmox-plugin (Linstor-HA mode)
Issue:

Following this recent Proxmox upgrade, my drbd version was downgraded from 9.2.8-2 (built with pve-headers in the DKMS tree) to 8.4.11. This downgrade caused issues with the LINSTOR satellite service, which requires >= DRBD 9.
Error Message:
systemctl status linstor-satellite.service (linstor.satellite.txt). Excerpt:

Apr 10 17:07:21 node3 Satellite[1185]: 17:07:21.732 [MainWorkerPool-2] ERROR LINSTOR/Satellite - SYSTEM - Received a resource that requires DRBD9_KERNEL but that external tool is not supported on this satellite [Report number 6616C73F-73CF5-000000]
Apr 10 17:07:21 node3 Satellite[1185]: 17:07:21.735 [MainWorkerPool-2] ERROR LINSTOR/Satellite - SYSTEM - FullSync error: missing required ext tools 3

cat /proc/drbd
version: 8.4.11 (api:1/proto:86-101)
srcversion: BAA5FC0DB44B6F02BBEAD0B

The downgrade could potentially have been caused by any of the upgraded packages.

Questions:
  1. Given my LINSTOR setup, is this a matter for the Proxmox team or the LINSTOR developers?
  2. How can I best address the downgraded DRBD version and restore functionality to my LINSTOR HA setup, especially the satellite service?
Short of re-installing my entire environment from scratch, I am at a loss on how best to proceed with repair.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

journalctl -u pvedaemon -b
-- No entries --
ip a (ip.a.txt)
hostname
cat /etc/hosts (etc.hosts.txt)
cat /etc/network/interfaces (network.interfaces.txt)
more /etc/hostname
journalctl -n 500 (journalctl.n.500.txt)

what happens when you stop the service and try : pvedaemon --verbose
systecmctl stop pvedaemone
pvedaemon --verbose
ERROR: unknown command 'pvedaemon --verbose'
USAGE: pvedaemon <COMMAND> [ARGS] [OPTIONS]

pvedaemon help [<extra-args>] [OPTIONS]

pvedaemon restart
pvedaemon start [OPTIONS]
pvedaemon status
pvedaemon stop

Attachments

• ip.a.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 1
  • etc.hosts.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 2
  • network.interfaces.txt
    965 bytes · Views: 1
  • linstor.satellite.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 1
  • journalct.n.500.txt
    71.8 KB · Views: 1
Your "GUI inaccesible, SSH works okay" just became 10x more complicated than originally presented.

It does seem like communication with Linbit might be interfering in proper cluster operations. However, there is not enough information to be sure - the log data you presented is not helpful. You could try to disable/remove Linbit storage from PVE config temporary to see if that helps.

Beyond that, seeing as you dont have subscription, based on forum information, your options are:

- troubleshoot on your own (ie look at journal log, the one you attached contains nothing but an error connecting to Linbit controller. You need to go further in log. Reboot systems and analyze the log from second 0.
- stay in forum and hope that one of the members has enough familiarity with your specific combination of technologies.
- buy PVE subscription and work with PVE support, and/or Linbit support ( I am not familiar with their support offering).
- recover from backups prior to upgrade.
- reinstall and recover VM data from backups.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Kingneutron
You have to install kernel headers manually, dkms won't build anything without headers:
dkms: autoinstall for kernel 6.5.13-5-pve was skipped since the kernel headers for this kernel do not seem to be installed.

apt install proxmox-headers-6.5
dpkg-reconfigure proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-5-pve-signed

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!