after install on bear metal ,network cannot connect

markhxp

Jul 19, 2024
after install on bear metal ,network cannot connect
1721388592992.png

in pve can not ping gateway,or internet

This is a bit confusing. If looks like you have an ethernet interface with the IP address of 192.168.229.131, and it looks like your /etc/network/interfaces file is set to use 192.168.229.2 as the gateway.

When you then try and ping 192.168.10.1... it seems to be working?

What's the thing that's not working, or am I misreading stuff? :)

i send the wrong image the wifi gateway is 192.168.10.1

Attachments

• b943ccc5e0054a86834d18f723397668.jpg
    b943ccc5e0054a86834d18f723397668.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 9
No worries. Please run ip a on the Proxmox host with the issue and paste the result here. A photo like the one above is totally fine, whatever works to show the info. :)

Interesting. The eno1 line says it's DOWN, which is a really bad sign. :(

First things first, check if the kernel logs are showing anything strange or unusual with regards to that adapter.

Please run this: journalctl -b 0 | grep -e vmbr0 -e enp4s0 and check the output from it.

That should show the kernel module for your ethernet adapter being loaded as the system boots, then subsequent output as the system does stuff with it. If there's weirdness in there, hopefully it'll point to what's going wrong.

(note that I really need to get sleep sooner rather than later, so hopefully someone else will jump into this issue and help you with this if the kernel output above doesn't show what's going on)

Last edited:
Could you show the "cat /etc/network/interfaces" of this new install again?

Cause it NOW looks like that you are trying to connect to the wlo-port, and the W ususally stands for Wireless, and without further setup, wireless doesn't work "out of the box".

If you haven't already, connect a network-cable, and make sure that in the interfaces file the bridge-port is set to eno1 like it is in your previous screenshot of the /etc/network/interfaces area.

Last edited:
Reactions: justinclift
I make the eno1 adn wlo1 up, ip link set eno1 up,ip link set wlo1 up.and they are up already,but still can not ping

I change to dhcp has error as follow

Attachments

• a190f5f1e60d47c6aeed2eea56559d4f.jpg
    a190f5f1e60d47c6aeed2eea56559d4f.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 2
What brand/type laptop is this and did or did you not plug in that network-cable like I asked? (You never confirmed/denied that, only saying that eno1 can not work).

And putting it in DHCP will not make things magically work when static-IP's do not (and might even make things worse/more difficult), so I would suggest to revert it to static to have 1 less thing to worry about.

Last edited:
That you don't use a cable causes why eno1 doesn't work
That you use wifi without (the proper) extra setup causes that wifi/wlo1 doesn't work.

Your two options:
  • Use a network cable (then it will just work, no further configuration needed)
  • Follow the WLAN setup-instructions [1] and HOPE that it works for you, some of which might require you to first connect via a cabled connection first to download the required tools. Be sure to also read the limitations that come with using WLAN.
[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/WLAN

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!