Advice sought for new (& proxmox newbie) setup

JMN57

Aug 6, 2024
I'm going to spin up a proxmox server this month. Use cases:
1) replace old QNAP TS-253A NAS
2) P2V 5-6 old windows (vista thru 10) laptops
3) run some of the apps the NAS supported (Tailscale, Channels DVR, music serving).

Hardware: Aoostar R7 (Ryzen 5700U) with 64GB RAM and two 12 TB HDD. I have two NVME slots available and I am trying to figure out what to put in them

I plan to run Proxmox and TrueNAS Scale in a VM.

My question:

1) the NVME slots - what size disks should I put in? I have a 256gb NVME and a 1TB NVME laying around. I could get a 4TB if it makes sense.
I could boot from one of the NVME's or I have a USB 256GB SSD available that I could use as a boot drive.

What's the best strategy for boot drive/NVME drives? Is the boot drive dedicated to Proxmox? What else can/should you store on that drive?

I have two NVME slots available and I am trying to figure out what to put in them
Enterprise SSDs with PLP (new or second-hand), as many threads here will tell you.
What's the best strategy for boot drive/NVME drives? Is the boot drive dedicated to Proxmox? What else can/should you store on that drive?
Proxmox runs better on HDD than consumer SSDs. You can use the same drive for Proxmox as storage as VMs, just make sure the SSD can handle many IOPS and much writing, like enterprise SSDs with PLP.

Reactions: Kingneutron
I wouldn't bother running Proxmox on that setup to be honest. Just run TrueNAS scale on the bare metal and spin up your VMs from there.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!