advice of possible rollback before changing disk size of a VM

mimizone

Oct 20, 2022
Hi,
I am about to increase the size of the OPNSense VM running on PVE.
It should be seamless and possible live it seems, changing it first in PVE UI for instance, and log into BSD and increase the partition size without rebooting.
I'll follow those steps basically (using PVE7.3.3 in my case and OPNSense 22.7.11 which is FreeBSD 13.1)
https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/yaxy8u/increase_size_of_pfsense_volume_in_a_vm_on_proxmox/

Sounds too good to be true :)

Since this VM is critical for me, running our main router/firewall. I'd like to know the possible rollback plan in case it is not behaving. It's the first time I do it on BSD.

If I have a snapshot of the VM and I know the previous sizing info etc..., how can I from the Proxmox CLI rollback to a previous snapshop image with the old partition sizing? I may be able to connect to the UI too, but I'd like the CLI option in case...

Any other options and recommendation you would have to do all that?

Maybe there is a better approach by first cloning the VM (I have just enough space on that little server for that I believe), and boot it without the network interfaces being connected. Resize there, and turn off old one, turn on new one?

I did a dry run in a cloned VM. It had to be rebooted once to make BSD see the new size of the device.

Maybe there is a way to force the OS to check the device without a reboot? Or it's a specific config of the VM disk controller that allows that?

Hi, Did it work for you? I have to do the same. I iust increased the disk size in Proxmox but OpnSense doesn't register it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!