Advice needed to replace dead HD on proxmox V8

sbs

Mar 30, 2021
Hi,

One of the drive has gone dead. SMART is in failed state, any disk operation fills the logs with errors, and slows everything down.
This is not a system disk. The VM using this disk is stopped pending restore.

Disk has just 1 LVM 8T partition, and will be replaced with a bigger disk.

Is there a restart/reinstall procedure so that the replacement disk can be reconfigured as the previous drive? Or should I just remove the old drive, install the new one and add a new lvm in proxmox with the same size as the original one?

Disk has just 1 LVM 8T partition
How was this disk setup in PVE. What is its storage.cfg details? Was anything else excepting the above-mentioned VM using it?

But in principal if the old disk is dead - just remove it & put the new one in, setup the desired storage configuration for that disk in PVE, & restore the VM (from restorable backup that I assume you have) to that newly created storage.

I assume from your post the disk is not part of a raid array/ZFS etc. That would be a different story.

How was this disk setup in PVE. What is its storage.cfg details? Was anything else excepting the above-mentioned VM using it?
Not sure, I used the "add lvm" from the proxmox gui to create a lvm on the disk.
Nothing else on this partition except for that one VM.
But in principal if the old disk is dead - just remove it & put the new one in, setup the desired storage configuration for that disk in PVE, & restore the VM (from restorable backup that I assume you have) to that newly created storage.
Ok I will try that. Thank you.
I assume from your post the disk is not part of a raid array/ZFS etc. That would be a different story.
Yes, it is a simple setup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!