Advice needed: Proxmox server build (CPU and motherboard)

ljlj

Sep 20, 2024
Hi all, I am looking to replace an old Dell T7610 (2x E5-2630 v2, 128GB ECC RAM) with something with more drive bays, say, 6-8 (current is 4 x 3.5" max) and is less power hungry at idle.
My current Dell T7610 idles at 140-150w (I'm familiar with setting CPU power governors and powertop)
HDD's are Hitachi HGST Ultrastar HE10 10TB drives (HUH721010AL), which according to the spec-sheet, have an idle draw of 5w each (so about 20w total).
Ideally, I'd like to be in the sub-100w range.

I'm after advice on motherboard/CPU combination

I've been doing a bunch of research on hardware but feel like I'm getting snow-blindness at this point and would really appreciate some input!

My requirements are:
  1. Be pretty quiet (this machine has to sit in my living room)
  2. Be as cheap to run as possible (UK power costs are silly): specifically, low idle-draw
  3. ECC RAM (please, no debates about whether it's needed or not)
  4. Out of Band management for the motherboard.
  5. Support for 8-10 SATA disks
  6. Budget: around £500-600 GBP
N.B. I am absolutely OK with buying refurbished parts.

As you can see I want the proverbial moon-on-a-stick!

The current primary use for the machine is as a storage server with light VMs but I'd quite like to consolidate some more VM workloads onto it.
I also want spin up a number of labs to test out various infra scenarios (circa 20-30GB each)

CPU:

I'm looking at the Intel Xeon E5-2650L v4 CPU (65w TDP) (£30 refurb) as it looks like it might be a good choice? From the specs and benchmarks it looks to have similar-ish performance to my E52630 v2 for single-threaded (yes, it's somewhat less) but naturally much greater core-count (8 vs 14 cores), which is good for my workload.

I had initially looked at Intel i7-12700 and similar but my research suggests that many of the procs don't support ECC memory and that for those that do I'd likely need a motherboard with a W680 chipset; and unfortunately, the only boards I could find in the UK were in £500 territory.

Motherboard:

I am also considering whether to buy a dual-socket motherboard and populate only a single socket or to get a dual-socket board.
The dual socket would give me room to upgrade later on but will likely limit the memory slots that I can utilise while the a single-socket configuration.

For a single socket configuration I've been looking at two boards:
Gigabyte MU70-SU0 (circa £140)
Asus Z10PA-U8 (circa £100)

The Gigabyte seems like a better board (more RAM slots, more capacity on the PCIe fabric) but doesn't support fan-control, which could be a big deal if that can't be over-ridden by fan-control via the OS.
The Asus has nicer networking 1 x 1GbE for management, 2 x 1GbE for networking and 2 x 10gig SFP+ (a big plus as I might upgrade to 10gig in the very near future if the thermals allow).
However, the out of band management of both looks to require pretty ancient applications to be installed/deployed. Much rather have a web-based interface.

Other options/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

RAM:

Aiming for about 192GB max in the mid-term.

Storage:
Aiming for 6-8 HDDs; plus 1-2 SSDs for the OS (RAID0) and a couple of enterprise SSDs for ZFS caching, ZIL etc and so I can play with stuff like dedupe.

Below is a list of the various components I'll be using for the rest of the build:
Chassis: Logic Case LC-4650-WH (£100)
Chassis fans: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM x 4 (£52)
CPU HSF: Noctua NH-U12DX i4 (or Noctua NH-U9DX-i4) (£70)
PSU: be quiet! BN283 Straight Power 11 750W (£130)
RAM: 2 x 32GB ECC modules

I am running latest Promox and ZFS (new to Proxmox but not hypervisors and been running ZFS for years).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!