advantages: Snapshots (KVM) in roadmap

cesarpk

Mar 31, 2012
Hi to all

I don't understan the advantages Snapshots (KVM) in Proxmox VE roadmap

I will be grateful to someone that can explain:
- What are the advantages?
- Differences between LVM snapshoot and kvm snapshoot using Proxmox VE (with his iso installer)

Best regards
Cesar

KVM snapshots include VM state (RAM), and you can create a tree like snapshot hierarchy, where it is possible to rollback to any previous state within seconds.

LVM snapshot are currently used for backups only.

KVM snapshots include VM state (RAM), and you can create a tree like snapshot hierarchy, where it is possible to rollback to any previous state within seconds.

LVM snapshot are currently used for backups only.

Thank you Dietmar, KVM snapshoot is excelent for test anything into VM!!!!
KVM + Proxmox is looking more and more to produce commercial leader in virtualization!!!! . I'm happy to have met Proxmox VE :eek:

Congratulations for excellent work to the Proxmox team

One Note important:
I be accustomed to use on VMware snapshoot and added many notes (Name and Description) of each Snapshoot I perform of the same VM (is for reminders of VM states).

Questions:
1- In Proxmox VE, KVM snapshoot will have for do notes into GUI (Name and Description)?
2- WIll have map of snapshoot like VMware with indications of tracking from certain states of snapshoot? (Would be great). Please see tha image below

And the last Question (excuse me if I leave the topic):
3- I see on this link "Making the replicated storage available for OpenVZ as well":
http://www.nedproductions.biz/wiki/...plicated-storage-available-for-openvz-as-well
And the questions is: for make replicated storage, is it necessary on Proxmox VE if I using his ISO installer?
or with the documentation of DRBD of Proxmox portal will it be enough?

Bets regards
Cesar

Attachments

• Snapshoot.JPG
    Snapshoot.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
1- In Proxmox VE, KVM snapshoot will have for do notes into GUI (Name and Description)?

yes (ID and description)

2- WIll have map of snapshoot like VMware with indications of tracking from certain states of snapshoot? (Would be great)

Snapshot are displayed in a tree like structure. Code is already available in pvetest repository.

Note: answering off topic questions makes no sense.

Btw, KVM shapshots will work with any storage which provides internal snapshot support (qcow2 files for now). RBD, nexenta and sheepdog drivers also work, but those storage drivers are still not stable enough.

Thank you Dietmar

I will be waiting the new features

Best Regards
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!