[SOLVED] Additional internal SMTP port

Bento

Jan 6, 2022
Hello all,

We have been using Proxmox Mail Gateway for several years now and are very happy with the product and wish to thank all the team for making it possible.

Our setup is the standard setup with

External SMTP port: 25
Internal SMTP port: 26

All of this has been working fine for years, and we have lots of VMs/equipment/applications setup to use the internal SMTP port of 26. However we have obtained a bit of equipment that for some silly reason does not allow us to specify port 26 for outgoing mail. (The only ports it lets you set are 25, 465, 587, 2525, 5000 to 32768).

My question, is am I able to add an additional Internal SMTP port as well as the current port 26? So the new item of equipment will work on this alternate port, but all existing systems that are currently set up will carry on using port 26?

So the internal SMTP port would be set to port 26 and 2525 for example.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Ben

You can redirect the port with iptables
iptables -A PREROUTING -d (ip address of the pmg) -i (name of interface) -p tcp -m tcp --dport 2525 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 26

hope it will work

iptables -A PREROUTING -d (ip address of the pmg) -i (name of interface) -p tcp -m tcp --dport 2525 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 26

Hi treloskilo,

That's a brilliant idea, thank you so much! I've implemented this and it is working well. I had to modify the command slightly:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d <IP> -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 2525 -j REDIRECT --to-port 26

Thanks for your help it's really appreciated!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!