Adding Physical Disk as Storage Pool with Partitions available for pass through

tman

Jan 18, 2021
Hello all. I've been using both Proxmox and KVM/QEMU/LibVirt. Here's my situation...

I have my KVM/Qemu/LibVirt Hypervisor that I would like to convert to Proxmox. I have storage pools that have physical disks setup. The partitions (sd1, sd2, sd3, etc...) on the physical disk show up as "Volumes" section of Virt-manager.

Screenshot from 2021-07-22 19-35-07.png

I can pass through each disk partition (Volumes) to any of my VMs as a device Disk. See below...

Screenshot from 2021-07-22 19-42-00.png

In order for me to try and migrate from KVM to Proxmox, I need to figure out how to configure Proxmox storage pools to replicate how it is configured in KVM/Qemu/LibVirt. Is there a way for Proxmox to setup a storage pool based on a physical disk that would allow me to use the physical disk's partitions as virtual disks like whats shown above?

Thanks in advanced. Hopefully this is clear enough for someone to help with a solution for Proxmox.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-07-22 19-35-07.png
    Screenshot from 2021-07-22 19-35-07.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 2
There's no such storage pool available. You can, however, attach any regular block device directly to a VM:

Code:
qm set <vmid> -scsi0 /dev/disk/by-id/xxxxx-partN

(or 'sata0', 'virtio0', whatever floats your boat)

Note that this will break snapshots, migration and to a degree backups.

There's no such storage pool available. You can, however, attach any regular block device directly to a VM:

Code:
qm set <vmid> -scsi0 /dev/disk/by-id/xxxxx-partN

(or 'sata0', 'virtio0', whatever floats your boat)

Note that this will break snapshots, migration and to a degree backups.
Excellent! I thought about this route as well but was under the impression I had to pass through the whole disk. Great suggestion. I try this method with using the partition.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!