Adding external CEPH node to Proxmox CEPH cluster

mauro70

Aug 7, 2023
Hi All
maybe a silly question, but so far I haven't found any thread talking about that (maybe because it is silly :) ): would it be possible to add a non-PVE CEPH node to a CEPH cluster created and managed within a PVE cluster?

Reason:
I have a PVE cluster made by 2 nodes + external quorum device.
I have configured glusterfs in both nodes + an external arbiter only.
I would like to replace glusterfs with ceph, and I have always read that the bare minimum configuration for a stable and reliable CEPH cluster is 3 nodes with a 3/2 configuration. Fair enough, however I cannot afford to purchase a third PVE node to add in the cluster, that's why the idea above.

So, do you think it could be feasible a such configuration? any reason for not doing it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Cheers

Not really, it depends by what you want to achieve.
In any case I'm going to re-use a very old server which is not suitable for PVE (just 16GB of RAM), but which (with debian/ubuntu and an NVME) could be sufficient as third node for ceph.

Simplifying, the Ceph performance is determined by the slowest node in the cluster. That very old node may limit your Ceph performance.
That said, simply add that third node to your cluster an use it just to run Ceph services. You have no obligation to run VMs/CTs on it and still get to manage all your Ceph from PVE.

Reactions: gurubert and cheiss

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!