Adding Existing VM Disk to Existing VM

thats2odd

Sep 16, 2024
Hello All,

New to ProxMox here. We have setup a new cluster and currently in the process of testing ProxMox as our VMware replacement. I have been testing backup restore which are working great except for the time it takes to restore but that issue is for another time.

Currently I have created a new VM from scratch and attempting to attach a existing disk from storage to the newly created VM. I'm struggling to find where to do this in the GUI, if it's even possible. The only option I can see is Hard Disk. Am I missing something in the process here? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1726506932689.png

Hi!

To what I know this is not possible from the WebGUI. You could however use the command line to attach an existing diskimage to another vm:

Code:
qm set 107 --scsiX STORAGE:vm-NNN-disk-M

where X needs to be an unused number in the remaining hardware configuration and NNN the VM id which was using this disk earlier and M the number of the disk. Watch out to have the other machine turned off, you cannot cross-use it!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!