Adding disk to ZFS RAIDZ Pool

bowlander

Jun 27, 2024
Hey all,

Total noob here looking for some advice. About two years ago I set up what I believed to be a RAIDZ pool with only one disk with the purpose of purchasing two more disks at a later date to add (if this is even possible, I believed it to be at the time). Well I just purchased those two disks today and now am I wondering how to go about adding these disks to the pool without destroying everything if at all possible.

pool: MAIN
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:21:24 with 0 errors on Sun Jun 9 00:45:25 2024
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
MAIN ONLINE 0 0 0
ata-Samsung_SSD_870_EVO_2TB_S753NS0X203083N ONLINE 0 0 0

It doesn't appear to say what type of ZFS pool it is i'm assuming because a single drive ZFS RAIDZ pool is impossible. Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated.

EDIT - An important piece of information I think i missed is that this pool is just a storage pool and I have a seperate two disk mirrored pool for proxmox itself

Last edited:
afaik, only add a mirror disk to your current single disk is possible and zfs mirror is recommended for perf.
be careful to monitor wear level, because zfs writes many many more data than real data because write amplification and integrity features.
Datacenter disks are recommended for endurance and for performances thanks to PLP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
I set up what I believed to be a RAIDZ pool with only
Then its a single disk vdev and not a raidz (which would be the equivalent of a raid5).

Well I just purchased those two disks today and now am I wondering how to go about adding these disks to the pool without destroying everything if at all possible.
You can't. Backup everything, destroy that pool, recreate it as a 3-disk raidz and do a restore. But be aware that you won't be able to add a 4th/5th disk later (yet).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!