Adding CIFS as external storage giving errors for unreachable storage

BinaryBush

Mar 8, 2021
Hi Guys,

I have an Unraid Server with a SMB share named proxmoxbackups that I would like to use as a network storage for backups from my proxmox ve server, however, when I try to add it using the webGUI or command line, I get this error:
Code:
create storage failed: error during cfs-locked 'file-storage_cfg' operation: unable to activate storage 'external_storage' - directory '/mnt/pve/external_storage' does not exist or is unreachable (500)

However, if I SSH into my proxmox server, I see that /mnt/pve/external_storage does indeed exist. I have tried several different shares and different mount point names, it creates the folder but will not mount.

I now have a bunch of empty directories in /mnt/pve/ because it won't allow me to delete them, it says that they are busy when I run:
Code:
rmdir external_storage

This is the error I receive:
Code:
rmdir: failed to remove 'external_storage': Device or resource busy

Hi,

what says the mount | grep "/mnt/pve/external_s*" command?

Can you send the output of pvesm scan cifs $mount-IP

Hi,

what says the mount | grep "/mnt/pve/external_s*" command?

Can you send the output of pvesm scan cifs $mount-IP
Hi Moayad,

Thank you for the response, I actually figured out that this is an issue with Unraid's caching system, once I disabled the caching feature I was able to add the share. As for the device or resource busy error, that was due to the filesystem being mounted and I was able to delete the old mount points after unmounting them with umount.

Hi,

Glad you have solved your issue!

Thanks for sharing your solution, you can make your thread as [SOLVED] to help other people who have the same issue Thanks!

have a nice day :)

I also can confirm that using unRaid share that does not use Cache works.
I also had to reboot cluster, but appears to be working just fine

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!