Adding and removing storage

dpearceFL

Jun 1, 2020
Using PVE 6.2

I come from a VMware world where everything is done via the GUI and doing things from the command line is generally discouraged. However from what I have learned from testing PVE on my home lab, I am genuinely excited.

Can someone confirm for me these general statements about storage and PVE:
* You can add storage via the GUI or the command line.
* You can only delete storage from the command line.

I see this as an advantage most of the time.

Thanks.

So if I add storage to a PVE server, you can not delete it from the GUI? I'm not afraid of the command line; I just want to make sure I'm not missing something in the GUI.

Using PVE 6.2

I come from a VMware world where everything is done via the GUI and doing things from the command line is generally discouraged. However from what I have learned from testing PVE on my home lab, I am genuinely excited.

Can someone confirm for me these general statements about storage and PVE:
* You can add storage via the GUI or the command line.
* You can only delete storage from the command line.

Just to be clear, NO, PVE Storage can be ADDed and REMOVEd via the GUI [0], CLI [1], or API [2]. "Removing" storage does not "delete" data (but can make it difficult to find ;-) ).

[0] Datacenter > Storage > {storage ID} > Remove
[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_using_the_command_line_interface
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_API

I have a problem.
Removing the storage, in my case via WebGUI, if it tries to recreate a new storage with the previous name it gives an error.
Also in / mnt / pve / there remains a folder with the name.

Are there any further steps to complete elimination?

If that folder is empty you can delete it so PVE doesn'T complain anymore that the mointpoint already exists.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!