Add physical RAID1 on VM

nick

Renowned Member
Mar 28, 2007
dear all,

I intend to attach a physical 2TB RAID1 created on DELL PERC controller and to manage the entire storage on a Windows 2008 server and to format the RAID in NTFS format.

I read the post https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Physical_disk_to_kvm but it's not clear how I add the RAID disks. from lshw I see only the serial (that appear also in PVE interface)

this is what I see on another RAID created on this controller; please anyone can help me how I can (if I can) add a RAID disk to a VM?

Code:
*-disk
          description: SCSI Disk
          product: PERC H700
          vendor: DELL
          physical id: 2.0.0
          bus info: scsi@2:2.0.0
          logical name: /dev/sdc
          version: 2.30
          serial: 00179dff094692861f002cc056b0b242
          size: 930GiB (999GB)
          capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
          configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512 signature=ca333caf

I think better way is to pass-through raid-controller to VM (with all its disks). That way you can properly manage raid-arrays without interfering with PVE-host, reboot VM to enter controller-bios if necessary, monitor array-health, etc.

But you can still add disk to VM using its logical name i.e. /dev/sdc (even if wiki says it should never be used). I never had any problem with using device names...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!