Add network drivers

Farren

Aug 22, 2024
I'm pretty new to Proxmox.....

I built myself a test server in a Lenvo desktop system and got two VM's running on it just fine.

I moved (a copy of) the drive to a Dell system in hopes that it would all "just work", but it didn't. It boots up fine but I have no networking.

Is there an easy way to install/update/fix the network drivers on a box that has no network?

Should I punt and just install a fresh copy on the Dell system and then move the two VM's??? And if so, what is the best way to move VM's? My 20+ years of experience with VMware is not helping me much with Proxmox!!

-Farren

You should always use a fresh installation for such things.
If not: the interface is probably just called differently enpNNs0 vs eno1 vs ...
So you could use a live CD and do a
Bash:
ip a
(locate your current interface on the new Host)
mount the root system and replace the interface in
Bash:
/etc/network/interfaces

Edit: Also don't forget to replace the bridge-ports on the vmbr bridges.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I need to learn how to move VM's anyway, so maybe I should use this for practice.

Can I move VM's over the network if both servers are up at the same time and then shut down the original server? They're not very large, so I could also do it with USB drives.

-Farren

You can also use an external HDD, backup the VMs to it and restore them to the new server, if the amount of data allows it :)

With NFS / Samba Share that is possible too.
Personally i would Backup on shared folder (NFS or Samba) and restore, if you can't use external HDDs (what is more easy than setup a NFS / Samba share).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!