Add existing ext4 partition to Proxmox for use in container/VM

engineer88

Sep 25, 2024
Hello,

I have an existing hard drive of 14TB with movies and series that I would like to add to Proxmox. From there I would like to create a Samba and use Jellyfin and any pc in the network to access the hard drive with movies and series.

But for the life of me, I can not figure out how to add the existing partition to Proxmox. Every solution I have found wants me to reformat the disk. That is absolutely not an option, as I don't have a backup of all these movies.

What is the best way to use my existing hard disk/partition in Proxmox?

try with
sudo mkdir /mnt/hdd
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/hdd
Does that work? If no what errors do you get ?

sudo was not recognized, but I could execute the commands other than that, no errors. I also heard the hdd spinning. But, I don't see anything changing within Proxmox. Where should I see if it worked?

I somehow would expect to be able to add the hdd as a volume group, but I can not select it there:
1727454500908.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!