Add Additional Local Storage

CareBear

Jul 22, 2021
Good Day,
Was wondering if I am missing something but I tossed another HDD is my proxmox server to use as local storage and can not find anywhere to add it.
Just checking to see if indeed there is no way in the UI to do this.
Thanks!

hi,

you can go to {nodename} -> Disks -> Directory and create a storage there (doesn't have to be "Directory" storage you can choose something else as well)

Reactions: CareBear
Well I got somewhere.
Deleted the partion via fdisk.
1626974774280.png

Drive shows where you described:
1626974825505.png

Error:
1626974849762.png

fdisk shows a partition now despite error:

1626974898801.png

However nothing shows in Directory.

1626974940974.png

Will also no longer allow me to create as it shows no unused disks.
Thanks!

If you create a new gpt on the disk with fdisk (but no partitions) are you able to then initialize it in the proxmox gui?

When it had no partition table it did let me select it, it just failed as above. I can try and create a new GPT on there if you think it will help and give it another go.
Thanks for the reply.

Tried a few more items including a reboot, I can add to bug tracker if this is a new bug but I was not sure if it was just me making a mistake.
Any more tips before I bugtrack it?

Tried a few more items including a reboot, I can add to bug tracker if this is a new bug but I was not sure if it was just me making a mistake.
Any more tips before I bugtrack it?
Very odd, I'm not sure what might be causing that. I assume it's a SATA disk, same behavior no matter what filesystem you try to format it with?

Probably go ahead with the bug report if none of that has worked.

I actually got it working today.
I started from zero from console, deleted the partition, created new, set it up with a filesystem and mounted it.
Made sure it worked form console and then deleted everything again.
Went back into proxmox ve and it added no problem.
Weird but its working.
Thanks!

I actually got it working today.
I started from zero from console, deleted the partition, created new, set it up with a filesystem and mounted it.
Made sure it worked form console and then deleted everything again.
Went back into proxmox ve and it added no problem.
Weird but its working.
fyi, wiping the disk before beginning should make it available on the GUI for setup. you can wipe disk with sgdisk --zap-all /dev/foo (replace /dev/foo with your disk name, e.g. /dev/sda)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!